Wikipedia

Search results

Friday, March 3, 2023

The plurality of Fernando Pessoa
Le Puits Gaillot & le Ciel



Não sou nada.
Nunca serei nada.
Não posso querer ser nada.
À parte isso, tenho em mim todos os sonhos do mundo.

I'm nothing,
I'll always be nothing.
I can't even wish to be something.
Aside from that, I've got all the world's dreams inside me.
一 Álvaro de Campos (Fernando Pessoa's heteronym), Tabacaria ["The Tobacconist's" or "The Tobacco Shop"] (15 January 1928)

Variant translations:
I am nothing.
Never shall be anything.
Cannot will to be anything.
This apart, I have in me all the dreams of the world.
一 trans. Jonathan Griffin, in Selected Poems (Penguin Books, 1974), p. 111
I am not nothing.
I will never be nothing.
I cannot ever want to be nothing.
Apart from that, I have in me all the dreams of the world.
一 In Webster's New World Dictionary of Quotations (2005), p. 649
I am nothing.
I shall never be anything.
I cannot even wish to be anything.
Apart from this, I have within me all the dreams of the world.
一 Fernando Pessoa



Começo a conhecer-me. Não existo.
Sou o intervalo entre o que desejo ser e os outros me fizeram.
I'm beginning to know myself. I don't exist.
I'm the gap between what I'd like to be and what others have made me.
一 Álvaro de Campos (Fernando Pessoa's heteronym), "Começo a conhecer-me. Não existo.", in Fernando Pessoa & Co: Selected Poems, trans. Richard Zenith (Grove Press, 1998)

Somos dois abismos — um poço fitando o céu.
We are two abysses — a well staring at the sky.
一 Fernando Pessoa, Livro do Desassossego: Composto por Bernardo Soares, ajudante de guarda-livros na cidade de Lisboa, A Factless Autobiography, Richard Zenith Edition, Lisbon, 2006, p. 48

Considero a vida uma estalagem onde tenho que me demorar até que chegue a diligência do abismo. Não sei onde ela me levará, porque não sei nada.
I think of life as an inn where I have to stay until the abyss coach arrives. I don't know where it will take me, for I know nothing.
一 Fernando Pessoa, Livro do Desassossego: Composto por Bernardo Soares, ajudante de guarda-livros na cidade de Lisboa, A Factless Autobiography, Richard Zenith Edition, Lisbon, 2006, p. 40

O meu coração é um pouco maior que o universo inteiro.
My heart is a little larger than the entire universe.
一 Fernando Pessoa "Saí do comboio" (4 July 1934), trans. Richard Zenith

O amor é que é essencial.
O sexo é só um acidente.
Love is essential. Sex, a mere accident.
一 Fernando Pessoa, Poem (5 April 1935), reported in Poesias inéditas (1930-1935), p. 192

Sê plural como o universo!
Be plural, like the universe!
一 Fernando Pessoa, Páginas Íntimas e de Auto Interpretação (published posthumously, 1966)



Life is what we make of it.
Travel is the traveller.
What we see isn't what we see but what we are.
一 Fernando Pessoa

Who will write the story of what could have been?
That, if someone writes it,
Will be the true history of humanity.
What exists is the real world—not us, just the world.
We are, in reality, what doesn’t exist.
I am who I failed to be.
一 Fernando Pessoa

My soul is a hidden orchestra; I know not what instruments, what fiddlestrings and harps, drums and tamboura I sound and clash inside myself. All I hear is the symphony.
一 Fernando Pessoa




No comments: