Wikipedia

Search results

Monday, January 18, 2021

 Μή μου ἅπτου

It Takes Two to Tangō°

Noli Me Tangere, Maurice Denis (Circa 1892)

Μή μου ἅπτου* (mḗ mou háptou):
  1. "cease holding on to me" or, 
  2. "stop clinging to me",
  3. i.e. an ongoing action, not one done in a single moment. 
  4. do not grasp with the senses, try to apprehend,  or perceive "me"
  5. 吾:  (30do not pay attention to me/do not ionise me/do not set me apart/do not Ur Isis me




° It takes two to tango is, since Ronald Reagan's time, a common idiomatic expression which suggests something in which more than one person or other entity are paired in an inextricably-related and active manner.
The tango is a dance which requires two partners moving in relation to each other, sometimes in tandem, sometimes in opposition. The meaning of this expression has been extended to include any situation in which the two partners are by definition understood to be essential.
The phrase originated in a song, Takes Two to Tango, which was written and composed in 1952 by Al Hoffman and Dick Manning. The lyrics and melody were popularized by singer Pearl Bailey's 1952 recording:
You can sail in a ship by yourself,
Take a nap or a nip by yourself.
You can get into debt on your own.
There are lots of things that you can do alone.
(But it)
Takes two to tango (repeat).


* ᾰ̔́πτω  (háptō)

  1. to kindle, set on fire, fasten fire to (cf.離)
  2. to fasten to, bind fast
  3. to join to
  4. (middle) to fasten myself to, cling to, hang on by, lay hold of, grasp, touch
  5. (middle) to reach the mark
  6. (middle) to engage in, take part in
  7. (middle) to set upon, attack, assail
  8. (middle) to touch, affect
  9. (middle) to grasp with the senses, apprehend, perceive
  10. (middle) to come up to, reach, gain

tangō (present infinitive tangereperfect active tetigīsupine tāctum); third conjugation

  1. (transitive) I touch, grasp.
    Nōlī mē tangere.
    Don't touch me.
  2. (transitive) I reach, arrive at.
  3. (transitive) I attain to.
  4. (transitive) I move, affect.
  5. (transitive) I come home to.

No comments: